Some lures are essential for the central Plateau. Along with Red Setter, Craig’s Night-time, Smelt, Woolly Bugger and floating Glo-Bug – the Orange Rabbit completes the basic selection.
An easy to tie pattern that works particularly well in Taupo’s rivers.
|Hook||TMC 5262 size #2 – #10|
|Tail||Orange hackle fibres|
|Rib||Silver oval tinsel|
|Wing||Natural or grey rabbit fur strip|
|Hackle||Natural or Gray hackle|
- Tie in thread at bend
- Tie in orange tail fibres to the bend
- Tie in tinsel at bend and let hang
- Tie in orange chenille at bend and wrap thread to head, then wrap chenille to head.
- Trim rabbit skin at front end to a point.
- Tie in pointed end of rabbit at head
- Wrap tinsel over rabbit to head (3 wraps) trying not to catch fur and tie off behind head.
- Tie in brown hackle feather at head and wrap 2 or 3 times.
- Tie off.